Anchor Cottage Freshwater Decor Decorating Store

We offer decorating services in the Leelanau Peninsula. Our studio has fabrics, bedding samples and rug swatches. We offer lamp repair, shades, harps and finials with access to over 1,000 lamps. Furniture painting and repair. Wall paper books are available. Reach out to us at shop@anchorcottage.net.



Thursday, October 20, 2022

The Story, Or One Of Them, Of Hoots Holler

So last week I promised fall photos on this weeks blog post.  


I went out with the camera and took a pile of shots around the Holler.


But I have to say, I made a mistake when I went on errands this morning. I didn't bring along the camera. 


Compared to todays color fest last week was slightly lame!


This weekend, for sure, I will take the fall photos everyone is waiting for. In the mean time 
critter control was here. Squirrels in the attic. 


He asked me if I hunt. Then asked if I have ever eaten squirrel. I think I got his drift. Shoot them!


"But who will live in the out buildings" I ask, tongue in cheek. 


Under his breath I heard him mumble hillbilly. I said, "we live in the holler!" He said, "yes you do"!


Many years ago, when I started coming around the Holler, it was in the dead of winter with snow up to my chin. I remember thinking this place is charming.


The boyfriend said, "really I'm a hillbilly". Then spring came, I was in love and the snow melted away. I saw a house that needed finishing and an old Jayco down in trailer camp. That is when I realized I was going to marry this feller.


We will finish what he stared, as a young pup. In the meantime I plant flowers and sweep the flagstone walk pretty. 


When you live in the woods things are constantly decaying. It can't be helped. If you live under a canopy of foliage, the spiders and snakes come to visit along with the squirrels and Porcupines. So they all need a place to live! 
 

Not much fall color here! A humongous Bullfrog lives in this garden. You should hear him. Ribbit ribbit in his deep gravely vocals. 


I hope the Garter snakes didn't eat him!


When I go to customers homes and everything is picture perfect. I wonder what they think when they come to the studio?


One year I had a lady who had brought her husband and young children all the way from Alexandera VA. I pointed to the path, into the woods, and said, "you are welcomed to take a walk and pick the wild blackberries!" "There are some very old buildings on the property, probably from the Civil War!" Didn't  want them to think I was a hillbilly when I am selling his wife 36 yards of Thibaut fabric for window treatments!!


This is what you will find behind the sign! 


I promise, next week, photos of the most spectacular fall color the peninsula has ever displayed!

I am not making this up!



 

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive